At work I was asked by a colleague for reading recommendations for a Product Manager. Below is my half-hour answer; I expect that with more time I could do better. Think of the below as high in precision but low in recall.
Books: I'm a big fan of Alan Cooper (I did his Interaction Design Practicum years back) and really like About Face as well as the more recent The Inmates Are Running The Asylum. Slightly more quirky but also with highly relevant insights for product managers (in my opinion) is The Systems Bible.
Some PM-related articles I've enjoyed:
- How To Hire a Product Manager
- Anatomy of a Feature
- Working Backwards
- Have you ever legalized marijuana?
- The Good of Product Management
- The Bad of Product Management
Valuable blogs for PMs:
- John Nack (Adobe); He has a very practical take on prioritization, eg. this
- Steve Olechowski (Google), some great insights about Twitter
- On Product Management
- Hunter Walk (YouTube)
- Satyajeet Salgar (Google)
- Dion Almaer (ex-Palm)
- Paul Buchheit (YC)
- Marco Arment (Instapaper)
- Steve Yegge (Google) (a mixed bag, but some gems like the marijuana one above)
Feel free to leave additional suggestions in the comments; I'll post a follow-up summarizing them if there's critical mass.